Yield: 3 Dozen 1 ½ ounce rolls
A specialty of Central Europe, kolache are sweet yeast buns filled with poppy seed, prune or other fruit fillings. Sometimes a bit of cream cheese is added along with the fruit. These soft rolls are comfort food to those of Czech or Slovakian descent as well as many Texans. According to the Texas State Historical Association web site, in the mid 19th century, many Czechs migrated there attracted by the inexpensive farmland and opportunities in the Texas prairie.
What we like about these poppy seed kolache is their tenderness. The soft dough bakes into a light pillow perfect to accommodate a dollop of our Love’n Bake ® Poppy Seed Filling or Prune Lekvar.
Recipe Courtesy of: Love’n Bake®
For the Dough:
|1/2||stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter|
|1||envelope active dry yeast|
|4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/4||cup granulated sugar|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1||teaspoon grated orange zest|
|1||stick (4 ounces) butter, melted, as needed|
For the Topping:
|2||Tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1||Tablespoon butter, melted|
For the Filling:
|1||can Love’n Bake® Poppy Seed Filling|
How to Prepare
- Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool to 120F.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Place 2 cups of the flour and the nutmeg in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle. Add the milk mixture and stir to make a soft dough.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Beat the salt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange zest into the dough.
- Switch to the dough hook. Add the remaining two cups of flour. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Form it into a smooth ball. Return it to the bowl. Cover and let it rise until doubled, approximately 1 to 2 hours depending on room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into approximately 36 pieces weighting 1 ½ ounces each. Roll each piece of dough into a uniform ball. Place the dough spaced 2 ½ inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the dough with some of the melted butter.
- Cover the dough and allow it to proof until 1 1/2 times its size, approximately 30 minutes.
- While the dough proofs, make the crumb topping. Combine the sugar, butter and flour in a small bowl. Mix with a spatula until all of the flour is moistened into a crumble mixture.
- Using the back of a spoon or your fingertips, made a large indent in the center of each proofed roll and fill it with a heaping Tablespoon of Love’n Bake® Poppy Seed Filling. Brush the dough with more melted butter, if desired. Sprinkle the dough with the crumb topping.
- Bake the rolls until evenly browned and cooked through, approximately 13 to 16 minutes. Cool them on a wire rack. Serve the kolaches warm. Freeze them for longer storage. To reheat, place the thawed kolaches on a baking sheet in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes.
To shape the dough into pointed squares: Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll out one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Divide the dough into eight or nine 4-inch squares. Place a Tablespoon of Love’n Bake® Poppy Seed Filling in the center of each piece of dough. Gather together the four corners. Insert a toothpick into the dough to hold it together. Proof and bake as above. Remove the toothpicks once the pastries have cooled.