Yield: two dozen cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 270g All-purpose Flour
- 12g Baking Powder
- 2g Salt
- 170g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 170g Granulated Sugar
- 113g American Almond® Almond Paste
- 5g Vanilla Extract
- 165g Whole Eggs, room temperature
- 76g Yogurt
- 113g Whole Milk
- Preheat the convection oven to 325°F. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- Using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the American Almond® Almond Paste with the sugar until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Gradually add in the softened butter, and mix until well combined with each addition. Continue creaming until the mixture is fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the yogurt and milk. Add the liquids to the butter mixture alternating with the dry ingredients in three additions, scraping the bowl well after each addition is added.
- Scoop the batter into the pans using a #20 scoop.
- Bake for approx. 15-18 minutes until the cupcakes crest slightly, brown, and spring back when pressed lightly in the center.
- Cool the cupcakes completely.
For the Buttercream:
- 456g Egg Whites
- 684g Granulated Sugar
- 1197g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 350g American Almond® Almond Butter
- 10g Vanilla Extract
- Cream the softened butter together with the almond butter in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Gently whisk the egg whites and sugar over a bain-marie until the egg mixture reaches 60°C.
- Pour into the mixer fitted with the whip attachment; mix on low for two minutes.
- Switch to high speed until the mixture is a firm peak and cooled to body temperature.
- Switch to the flat paddle to add the creamed butter in steady increments. Add the vanilla extract and mix until the buttercream is homogenized.
- As needed Van Leer® Dark Ultimate Cake Coating or chocolate glaze
- As needed American Almond® Almond Brittle Crunch
- As needed Maraschino Cherries
- Place the almond buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Generously frost the cupcakes with the buttercream.
- Once the cupcakes are all frosted, dip the frosting halfway into Van Leer® Dark Ultimate Cake Coating or any chocolate glaze.
- Sprinkle some American Almond® Almond Brittle Crunch on top of the coating or glaze before it sets and finish by putting a cherry on top.