Created by The French Pastry School
For the Caramelized Granulated Almonds:
- 50g Water
- 100g Granulated sugar
- 10g Trimoline or honey
- 250g American Almond® granulated almonds
- Bring the water, sugar, and trimoline to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the granulated almonds.
- Spread the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with a Silpat.
- Bake the mixture at 176ºC / 350ºF, stirring occasionally to separate, until almonds are roasted.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
For the Swiss Rocher:
- 330g American Almond® hazelnut praline 50/50
- 170g Dark or milk chocolate couverture, 64%, tempered
- 1000g Dark or milk chocolate couverture, 64%, melted (for spreading & dipping)
- 5-8% Vegetable oil
- Using a metal spatula, very thinly spread chocolate onto an acetate sheet. Place ¼” plastic bars around the melted chocolate to form a frame.
- Mix the hazelnut praline and tempered dark chocolate couverture (170 g) in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the praline and chocolate mixture into the frame and flatten with a metal spatula. Let it set overnight in a cool room (17ºC / 62.6ºF).
- Cut with a guitar confectionery cutter or by hand with a warm knife.
- Roll the squares into balls and let set.
- Roll the balls in a thin layer of melted chocolate couverture at 35ºC / 95ºF and then roll them into the caramelized nuts.
- Place each one on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using a stainless steel spider, dip each rocher into tempered chocolate couverture (with 5-8% vegetable oil added to it).
- Place the Swiss Rochers on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and let set.
- Store in a cool room at 17ºC / 62.6ºF.
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com