Apple Tatin Pie Fusion with Hazelnut Chantilly & Feuilletine Sable
For the Pastry Cream:
- 235g Milk
- 46g Egg yolks
- 46g Granulated Sugar
- 24g Cornstarch
- Bring milk to a simmer.
- Pour over yolks mixed with sugar.
- Cook as a pastry cream and chill quickly. Reserve.
For the Hazelnut Frangipan:
- 150g Butter 150
- 115g American Almond® almond flour
- 115g American Almond® hazelnut flour
- 215g Powdered sugar
- 173g Whole eggs
- 322g Pastry Cream, from above
- 22g American Almond® hazelnut paste
- Mix soft butter and dry ingredients using a paddle.
- Add room temperature whole eggs little by little.
- Mix in hazelnut paste and pastry cream.
- Use as a pie base.
For the Feuilletine Dough:
- 344g Butter
- 214g Powdered Sugar
- 30g American Almond® almond flour
- 40g American Almond® hazelnut flour
- 6g Salt
- 114g Whole eggs
- 574g All-purpose flour
- 120g Cacao Barry Pailleté Feuilletine
- Cream butter, powder sugar, nut flours, and salt.
- Add eggs little by little, and then add AP flour and feuilletine.
- Chill and roll to 2.5mm thickness. Use as a pie crust.
For the Caramel Powder & Apples:
- 500g Granulated sugar
- 50g Glucose
- 90g Apple cider
- 25g Butter
- Michigan apples, as needed
- Cook ingredients as a sugar syrup to 175C.
- Cast caramel out onto a Silpat. Let cool and then grind into a powder.
- Slice apples using a vegetable peeler and sprinkle powder between the layers. Bake apples in a fleximold dome at 356F until rich golden color.
For the Hazelnut Chantilly:
- 100g Milk
- 80g Granulated sugar
- 88g Gelatin mass
- 170g Mascarpone cheese
- 730g Cream
- 75g American Almond® hazelnut paste
- Bring milk and sugar to a simmer.
- Combine with melted gelatin mass.
- Mix with cream, cheese and hazelnut paste.
- Let set in the cooler and then whip when needed.
- Pipe onto an edge of pies.
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com