Recipe by: Chef Alexandra Foster
Michigan Apples from Glei’s Orchards & Greenhouses – 3500 Milnes Rd. Hillsdale, MI 49242
- 235g Milk
- 46g Egg yolks
- 46g Granulated Sugar
- 24g Cornstarch
- Bring milk to a simmer.
- Pour over yolks mixed with sugar.
- Cook as a pastry cream and chill quickly. Reserve.
- 150g Butter 150
- 115g American Almond® Almond Flour
- 115g American Almond® Hazelnut Flour
- 215g Powdered Sugar
- 173g Whole Eggs
- 322g Pastry Cream, from above
- 22g American Almond® Hazelnut Paste
- Mix soft butter and dry ingredients using paddle.
- Add room temperature whole eggs little by little.
- Mix in hazelnut paste and pastry cream.
- Use as pie base.
- 344g Butter
- 214g Powdered Sugar
- 30g American Almond® Almond Flour
- 40g American Almond® Hazelnut Flour
- 6g Salt
- 114g Whole Eggs
- 574g All-purpose Flour
- 120g Cacao Barry Pailleté Feuilletine
- Cream butter, powder sugar, nut flours, and salt.
- Add eggs little by little, and then add AP flour and feuilletine.
- Chill and roll to 2.5mm thickness. Use as pie crust.
Caramel Powder & Apples
- 500g Granulated Sugar
- 50g Glucose
- 90g Apple Cider
- 25g Butter
- Michigan Apples, as needed
- Cook ingredients as a sugar syrup to 175C.
- Cast caramel out onto a Silpat. Let cool and then grind into a powder.
- Slice apples using vegetable peeler and sprinkle powder between the layers. Bake apples in fleximold dome at 356F until rich golden color.
- 100g Milk
- 80g Granulated sugar
- 88g Gelatin Mass
- 170g Mascarpone Cheese
- 730g Cream
- 75g American Almond® Hazelnut Paste
- Bring milk and sugar to a simmer.
- Combine with melted gelatin mass.
- Mix with cream, cheese and hazelnut paste.
- Let set in cooler and then whip when needed.
- Pipe onto edge of pies.
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com