One half-sheet sized finished rainbow cake
- 530g American Almond® Almond Paste
- 133g Whole Eggs (A)
- 530g Granulated Sugar
- 8.5g Salt
- 530g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 397g Whole Eggs (B)
- 15g Vanilla Extract
- 232g Cake Flour
- As needed Pink and Green Liquid Food Coloring
- 200g Raspberry Jam
- 30g Rum or Raspberry Liqueur (optional)
- 300g White Chocolate
- 150g Heavy Cream
- As needed Pink Cocoa Butter Color
For the Batter:
- Place the American Almond® Almond Paste and the eggs (A) in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend on low speed until the almond paste is smooth. Add the sugar and salt. Cream the mixture.
- Blend in the butter. Cream the mixture until smooth, light and aerated. Add the vanilla. Cream to light, fluffy batter. Scrape the bowl.
- Gradually add the remaining eggs (B), scraping the bowl periodically as the eggs are blended into the batter. Beat on medium speed until well creamed, light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixing slowly until blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly between three bowls (approx. 790g each). Lightly color one portion of the batter pink, one portion green, and leave the third portion plain.
- Prepare three half sheet pans by greasing and lining with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter onto the pan, and spread evenly and as smooth as possible using an offset spatula.
- Bake at 420°F until the cake feels springy to the touch, for approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake.
For the Cake:
- When the sheets are cool enough to handle, but still slightly warm, after about 30 minutes, create the layered cookies. Flavor the raspberry jam with some rum/raspberry liqueur, if desired.
- Spread half of the raspberry jam evenly on the pink cake layer.
- Invert the plain cake layer on top. Remove the parchment paper then evenly spread the remaining raspberry jam on it.
- Invert the green cake layer of cake on top. Keep the parchment paper in place.
- Compress the cake layers by placing a stack of clean sheet pans on top of the cake. Let the cake sit overnight in refrigerator for easier handling.
- At this point, the rainbow cake may be stored in the freezer for future use if needed.
- Place the cake on a cutting board with the green layer facing up and brush off any loose cake crumbs.
- Make a simple chocolate ganache and tint it pink with cocoa butter color.
- Pour the ganache immediately on top of the cake and spread it evenly and smoothly with an offset spatula.
- When the chocolate ganache has set, cut the rainbow cake into the desired serving size using a warm knife. Cover with transparent film until served.
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com