Yield: One 9-inch pie
For the Crust:
- 50g American Almond® Almond Flour
- 225g All-purpose flour
- 4g Salt
- 150g Unsalted butter
- 90-100ml Cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 lbs Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 95g Water or ½ water & ½ apple juice
- 56g Granulated sugar
- 46g Water
- 56g Cornstarch
- 145g Granulated sugar
- 3.5g Salt
- 2g Cinnamon
- 2g Nutmeg
- 30g Butter
- 75g American Almond® Whole Natural Almonds, chopped
- Cranberries, as needed
- 85g Unsalted butter
- 75g Brown sugar
- 145g All-purpose flour
- 150g American Almond® Cinnamon Schmear
- 100g Quick-cooking oats
- For the crust, combine the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the dough comes together. Flatten and refrigerate the dough for an hour before using.
- Roll out the dough approximately ¼-inch thick and place in a 9-inch pie pan.
- For the filling, combine the chopped apples, water or water/apple juice mixture, and first amount of granulated sugar. Let the mixture sit for 45 minutes to an hour. Drain the juices from the apples into a small saucepan. Heat them over medium-high heat until reduced in half, thickened and syrupy. Return the thicken juices to the apples. Mix cornstarch and the second amount of water to make a slurry. Toss apples with the cornstarch mixture. Add almonds and cranberries to cooked mixture.
- For the topping, place the butter, the second amount of sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle. Blend until the butter is evenly distributed throughout the flour. Blend only until the mixture comes together into a sticky, soft dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture. Drop the streusel topping in little bits on top of the apples until they covered. Bake until the apples are bubbling and the topping is crisp and lightly browned, approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.