Yield: One 9-inch Cranberry Almond Apple Pie
For the Crust:
- 50g American Almond® almond flour
- 225g All-purpose flour
- 4g Salt
- 150g Unsalted butter
- 90-100ml Cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 lbs Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 95g Water or ½ water & ½ apple juice
- 56g Granulated sugar
- 46g Water
- 56g Cornstarch
- 145g Granulated sugar
- 3.5g Salt
- 2g Cinnamon
- 2g Nutmeg
- 30g Butter
- 75g American Almond® whole natural almonds, chopped
- Cranberries, as needed
For the Streusel Topping:
- 85g Unsalted butter
- 75g Brown sugar
- 145g All-purpose flour
- 150g American Almond® cinnamon schmear
- 100g Quick-cooking oats
- For the crust, combine the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the dough comes together. Flatten and refrigerate the dough for an hour before using.
- Roll out the dough approximately ¼-inch thick and place in a 9-inch pie pan.
- For the filling, combine the chopped apples, water or water/apple juice mixture, and first amount of granulated sugar.
- Let the mixture sit for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Drain the juices from the apples into a small saucepan.
- Heat them over medium-high heat until reduced in half, thickened and syrupy. Return the thicken juices to the apples.
- Mix cornstarch and the second amount of water to make a slurry. Toss apples with the cornstarch mixture.
- Add almonds and cranberries to cooked mixture.
- For the topping, place the butter, the second amount of sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle.
- Blend until the butter is evenly distributed throughout the flour. Blend only until the mixture comes together into a sticky, soft dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture. Drop the streusel topping in little bits on top of the apples until they covered.
- Bake until the apples are bubbling and the topping is crisp and lightly browned, approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.