Yield: Approximately 10 dozen palmiers
For the Chocolate Cinnamon Palmier Pastries:
- 3 lbs Puff pastry
- 2 lbs American Almond® chocolate or cinnamon “schmear” filling
- Granulated sugar as needed
- Powdered sugar as needed
- Sprinkle a work bench with a light layer of granulated sugar. Place the puff pastry on the sugar. Roll out the puff pastry into an even rectangle about 12 x 40 inches, ¼-inch thick.
- Spread an even layer of chocolate or cinnamon “schmear” filling over the puff pastry. (To make it easier to spread, transfer the Schmear into a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 10 to 30 seconds.)
- Score the center of the puff pastry along its length using the back of a knife. Tightly roll up each long side of the pastry until they meet in the center. The filled puff pastry can be refrigerated for up to 2 days to be cut and baked at a later time.
- Divide the log of rolled puff pastry into uniform slices, each measuring slightly less than 1/2-inch thick. Place the dough, cut-side down, spaced 3 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Press down lightly on each piece of dough to flatten slightly.
- Bake the dough until well puffed and golden brown, for about 15 to 18 minutes. Cool the pastries on a wire rack.
- Dust the chocolate cinnamon palmier pastries lightly with powdered sugar if desired.
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com