Yield: One tart, 8 to 10 servings
For Assembling the Dough:
- 8 oz All-purpose flour
- 1/4 t Kosher salt
- 1/3 c American Almond® Almond Paste
- 1 1/2 Sticks of unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 c Cold water, plus a few tablespoons, if needed
- Place the flour and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Grate the American Almond® Almond Paste into the flour and salt. Rub the flour and almond paste mixture between your fingertips twenty to thirty times until the pieces of paste are broken up into pea-sized pieces.
- Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Toss the butter evenly throughout the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center. Add the water then gather the mixture into a shaggy dough using stiff fingers. Gently knead the dough until it forms a ball adding the extra water as needed to make a somewhat soft dough. Lumps of butter should be visible. Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for at least two hours before using.
For Assembling the Galette:
- 1/3 c American Almond® Blanched Almonds
- 2 T All-purpose flour
- 2 T Granulated sugar
- 6 Medium sized, ripe peaches or nectarines, washed
- 2 T Unsalted butter
- Additional granulated sugar, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Combine the ground almonds, flour and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside. Slice the peaches into 1/4 –inch-thick slices leaving the skin intact.
- Roll out the dough into a large circle about the size of a half sheet pan. Transfer it to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the ground almond mixture in the center of the rolled dough then spread it out to within two inches of the edge. Arrange the sliced peaches on top of the flour mixture in an even layer. Fold over the edge of dough pleating it to make a circle. Dot the surface of the fruit and dough with two tablespoons of butter cut into thin slices. Sprinkle the surface of the fruit and dough with additional granulated sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 55 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the crust is uniformly golden brown and crisp.
- Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.