Yield: 18 to 20 small muffins
For the Almond Berry Crunch Muffins:
- 1/2 c Whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 c All-purpose flour
- 2 T Coarse ground cornmeal
- 2 T Flax or hemp seeds, whole or crushed
- 1 t Salt
- 2 t Baking powder
- 15 T Granulated sugar
- 2 Whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c Plain yogurt
- 1/2 c Vegetable oil
- 1/2 t Vanilla extract
- 2 c Fresh or frozen mixed berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. (If using frozen, do not thaw them.)
- 1 T All-purpose flour
- 1 T Grated lemon zest
- 1/3 c American Almond® almond paste, grated coarsely
- Grease 20 muffins cups then add paper muffin liners. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together the flours, cornmeal, flax seeds, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Toss the berries with one Tablespoon of flour. Fold in the berries, lemon zest and three-quarters of the grated American Almond® almond paste.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the batter with some of the reserved grated almond paste.
- Bake until the muffins are puffed, evenly browned and cooked through, from 18 to 22 minutes.
- Marzipan may be used in this recipe in place of the almond paste. The muffins will be somewhat sweeter.