Yield: Approximately 1 ½ quarts
For the Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream:
- 3c Whole milk
- 1/2c Light brown sugar
- 6 Egg yolks
- 1c Heavy cream
- 1c American Almond® hazelnut praline
- 1c Milk chocolate chips, chopped into coarse chunks
- Prepare an ice bath to chill the custard: fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- Combine the milk and half of the brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- When the milk is warmed and the sugar dissolved, whisk half of it into the egg yolk mixture. Return the yolk mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook whisking constantly over medium heat until the custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. (If you have an instant-read thermometer, as soon as the mixture reaches 185°F, immediately remove it from the heat.)
- Pour the custard into a clean bowl set over the ice bath. Stir in the heavy cream and the American Almond® hazelnut praline. (Use a sturdy whisk to add the paste small amounts at a time until completely incorporated.) Chill. Once cool, refrigerate the base overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream machine following the manufacturer’s directions. (For smaller capacity machines, churn this mixture in two batches.)
- Add the chocolate chips then churn for three or four additional minutes to distribute the chocolate chips.