Yield: 8 to 9 dozen 1 ½- inch cookies
For the French Almond Butter Cookies:
- 1 can American Almond® almond paste
- 3/4 c Granulated sugar
- 1 t Salt
- 6 Egg whites
- 1 lb Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 c All-purpose flour, sifted
- Candied almonds or peanuts, diced dried fruit, chocolate chips as needed for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the American Almond® almond paste, sugar and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend on medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. With the machine running, gradually add 2 of the egg whites until a smooth, thick paste is formed.
- Add the butter and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Scrape the bowl. Then gradually add in the remaining 4 egg whites beating until the mixture is creamy.
- Fold in the flour without overmixing.
- Place the dough in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Or use a cookie press to pipe the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Press a candied nut or piece of dried fruit or other garnish into the center of each cookie.*
- Bake the cookies until pale golden brown and set, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. (To prevent the bottom of the cookies from browning too quickly, double pan the cookies before baking. That is, place each baking sheet on top of a clean sheet pan. This provides a layer of protective insulation.)
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack before serving. Stored in an airtight container, these cookies will keep for more than a week at room temperature and longer when frozen.
*Instead of garnishing the cookies before baking, you could press a coated almond, M+M or other candy into the center of each cookie as soon as the tray comes out of the oven.*
Recipe courtesy of American Almond® – www.americanalmond.com