Yield: 4 Dozen bars, 2-in. x 3-in. (5-cm x 7.5 cm)
For the Bars:
- 24 oz American Almond® kernel or macaroon paste
- 32 oz Granulated sugar
- 40 oz Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 oz Vanilla extract
- 1 oz Orange oil
- 14 oz Whole eggs
- 1 oz Grated orange zest
- 32 oz Cake flour, sifted
- 1 oz Baking powder
- 1/4 oz Salt
- 16 oz Dried apricots, diced
- 16 oz Walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 16 oz Bittersweet chocolate chips
For the Orange Splash:
- 8 oz Orange juice
- 6 oz Granulated sugar
- 1/2 oz Orange oil
- Beat the American Almond® macaroon paste until softened. Beat in the sugar until the mixture is smooth and broken into small pieces. Slowly beat in the softened butter until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, orange oil, eggs, and orange zest.
- Fold in the sifted cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix on medium until the batter is fluffy and smooth. Fold in the diced apricots, walnuts or pecans and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan fitted with a pan extender. Bake at 350°F (190°C) until browned and set, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the bars bake, prepare the Orange Splash. Heat the orange juice and sugar until dissolved. Cook then add the orange oil. Transfer to a spray bottle. Liberally spray the bars while still hot with the Orange Splash.
- Cool completely before cutting.