Yield: 6 Servings
For the Sauce:
- 1 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Water
- 2 T Light corn syrup
- 3/4 c Heavy cream
- 4 T Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 t Sea salt
- Have all the ingredients for the caramel sauce measured out before you begin.
- Combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves. Brush any sugar crystals that stick to the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in clean water.
- Raise the heat to high and cook the sugar until it turns a deep amber color.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat. Pour in the cream, butter, and salt and carefully whisk the mixture until it is smooth.
For the Ice Cream:
- 1/2 c American Almond® hazelnut praline
- 2 T Honey
- 1 qt Vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 6 Apple cider or spice, cake donuts, split in half horizontally
Sliced apples for garnish, as needed
Coarse salt, as needed for garnish
- Place the American Almond® hazelnut praline, honey and 2 tablespoons of the vanilla ice cream in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Blend until the praline paste is lightened and the mixture is smooth, scraping the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes.
- Scoop the remaining ice cream into a large bowl. Swirl the lightened hazelnut praline throughout the ice cream without overmixing. (You want to see a swirl in the ice cream.)
- Place a half doughnut on each of 6 dessert plates.
- Top with a scoop of the ice cream and a ladle of the warm caramel sauce.
- Place the remaining doughnut halves on top and decorate each plate with a few slices of apple and an extra sprinkle of salt on top.