Yield: One 10-inch Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
For the Pie Crust:
- 8 oz All-purpose flour
- 1/4 t Salt
- 5 oz Unsalted butter
- 2 T Shortening or additional butter
- 1/3 c Ice water
For the Filling:
- 3 c Sliced strawberries, about 1 quart
- 3 c Rhubarb, diced into 1-inch pieces, about 1 lb trimmed
- 1/3 c Minute tapioca
- 1.5 c Granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 1/2 c Old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 c All-purpose flour
- 1/3 c Granulated sugar
- 1/2 c Love’n Bake® almond paste, grated
- 2 oz Unsalted butter, melted
- Ice cream or sour cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Make the pie crust. Combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Cut the butter into several pieces. Add the butter and shortening to the bowl of the food processor. Blend until the mixture resembles cornmeal, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add the ice water and pulse several times until the mixture begins to come together into a smooth ball of dough.
- Gather the dough together. Form it into a flat disk. Wrap it in plastic and chill it for an hour or more before using.
- To make the filling, combine the sliced strawberries, rhubarb, tapioca, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir to blend the ingredients. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute the tapioca and sugar.
- Make the topping while the filling rests. Combine the rolled oats, flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in the grated Love’n Bake® almond paste. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is thoroughly moistened.
- Roll out the crust 1/3 to 1/4-inch thick on a well-floured surface. Drape the crust over a 10-inch pie pan. Trim leaving a 1/2-inch of dough hanging over the edge. Fold over the edge of the dough and crimp. (Save the extra dough for a small pie or quiche shell.)
- Fill the pie with the fruit filling. Scatter the streusel evenly over the top of the fruit covering it evenly.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes until the topping and crust are evenly browned and the filling is bubbling in several places. Cool the strawberry rhubarb pie on a wire rack before serving with ice cream or a spoon of sour cream.